Monday, January 12, 2009

New look!

Justin helped me with design work all morning. We made a little ad for Paper n Stitch's supremely excellent blog, tidied up my Etsy shop avatar and banner, and completely revamped this here blog! Hello Jenuine and Constant Casualty (my Sister in Law) did such spectacular jobs with their blog makeovers that it started feeling stale around here. I thought poor Justin's eyes were going to pop out when we had just finished and I sat back in my chair and said, "ennnnnh... maybe we should change the whole background to celadon green.". I quickly averted a meltdown Amelia Bedelia style by offering him a hot plate of garlicky rice. Whew!

I'm wondering what you think of the new design as I'm always game for a good critique. Did you have that momentary feeling of being lost when you landed here and things had changed? That always happens to me. Also, I can't stop looking at my new page. I feel vain. It's exactly like after I get a new haircut and keep posing in front of the mirror. I really hope I am not the only one who does that.

11 comments:

Justin Snow said...

The new look is tits.

idyll hands said...

This is fabulous. I love the color of the background and the banner... love love love it. Now I hate my blog - thanks. :)

Kim Bagwill said...

I agree with idyll hands. Okay, maybe I don't hate my blog, but I've been wanting to redo my website...for three years. Maybe if I have someone to make me garlicky rice while I did it....

Jen Collins said...

i love your little banner so. :) i was the same as you, once i'd re-done it all, i kept checking back to look at it!

Sarah Golden/craftyFOLK said...

looks great, the updated banner gives the page a nice snappy crispness:) that doesn't make real sense, but it's a good thing. I totally check myself out all the time when I change something on my page too.

btw, congrats on the front page today. i noticed the treasury i made was FP and you my dear were in it:) hurray pile o' guinea pigs!

Fluffy Buns said...

love it - as soon as i saw it i thought 'awesome new banner'
Keep up the great work!

Michelle Engel Bencsko said...

Looks grrrrrrrrreat!

Anonymous said...

The new update looks great! Except, what happened to you signing your own name underneath the banner? I feel your handwriting has become a big part of the A.W.'s style since you use it in most of your designs - why replace it with a typeface?

Anonymous said...

The new look is fantastic! No lost feelings here, your bunny with scarf is easily recognizable!

And I can totally relate to eyeing the new look over and over with a sense of joy and satisfaction, whether it be a piece of art, design, or haircut. Guilty of it all!

I have to second Lara's comment...your handwriting is a big part of you and your work, and if there were to be a single change, I'd replace the font with your own writing.

Elise of Argyle Whale said...

Thanks for all the good feedback!

Erin and Kim, I was the same way when I saw the newly designed sites of other people. I won't stand to be jealous for long! I'm so happy with my bog now that my main website is even more embarrassing. That is the next to be changed since it does not match the rest of my sites at all.

Lara and Rachel, I completely agree with you about the handwriting. It was my original intent but I got frustrated with technical difficulties and chose the easy route of a font. Now I know it's important enough to try again. Thanks for giving such a thoughtful suggestion!

Daphne said...

i must say, your bunny wearing his scarf is my favorite image from your work, so I'm really glad to see him front and center, where he should be! Great job :)