Monday, March 05, 2012

Sparkle in a shitstorm



Things have been bad. So so bad that I stopped even writing about all the bad things because I didn't want to be a drag. "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothin' at all." as Thumper would say.


I'm back because I've found something to celebrate. A little sparkle in the shitstorm if you will.

I found a really good job! Meaningful, local, artistic, reliable employment! Last week was my first and it was just as good as I hoped it would be. I'm working in Peabody, MA at the new ArcWorks Community Art Center as manager of the gallery shop and occasional workshop instructor. ArcWorks CAC is a part of the Northeast Arc which provides lifelong support to individuals with disabilities and their families and the Art Center is it's newest offshoot that aims to bring the whole community together through art and craft. As you can expect, I'm ALL ABOUT THAT!

I'll be showing more of what I'm doing soon but this is just an enthusiastic introduction. The photos above are from a workshop I led last week on image weaving. I was so pleased with the way the art turned out and all the individuals who participated LOVED what they made and traded with the other participants. I'll post a tutorial soon if you want to give it a try.

6 comments:

Maisonwares said...

Yay! I'm so happy you found something that glimmers. You're such a great lady, I'm glad others get to appreciate that too! xoxo.

Daphne said...

This is SO good to hear. Gives me hope that there are some decent art-related jobs out there...

Elise of Argyle Whale said...

Thank you Ryan! Hope you are feeling better soon.

Daphne, Don't give up hope! I'll give you a good pep talk when we meet again.

Sarah said...

Oh Elise!
(I posted this comment from my phone but I don't think it worked)
Could there be a more amazing/perfect/wonderful/fulfilling job out there for you? This sounds so great.

I'm so happy for you!
xooxoxxo

~Mona said...

This pic is amazing ! <3

Unknown said...

I'm so happy for you Elise! I'm also happy for everyone who has the distinct pleasure of working with you.