Sunday, April 27, 2008

Wizard Rock!


Last night Justin and I ventured into the city to see the movie "We are Wizards" which is a documentary about Harry Potter fan culture and the creative avenues that fans have taken that are inspired by the books. There was also a wizard rock show in the theater following the film that featured lots of Harry Potter themed bands (Harry and the Potters, Draco and the Malfoys, the Whomping Willows and the Hungarian Horntails).

We had so much pure fun that I can hardly explain. There is something so great about going to a show where everyone is unabashedly geeking out. Nobody is attempting to be remotely cool and the audience was just giddy and full of great energy.

I think I liked the books about as much as most people liked them but I'm much more a fan of being a fan ( I hope that makes sense at all). I like being in the company of adults who don't take themselves too seriously and little kids being really imaginative.

One of the highlights of the event was that the illustrator and comic wizard Brad Neely was in attendance. I pretty much love everything he makes. Justin and I got really starstruck and shy and didn't introduce ourselves even though he was pretty close by. We just couldn't figure out how to not seem annoying or pathetic in our opening statements to someone we really enjoy. We really should have said hello. I also really should have bought the Harry and The Potters official dental floss container that I saw at the merch table. I really need to have something that makes flossing rock.

We had such a good time that it was really hard to return to the muggle world.

5 comments:

Parallax Photo said...

What a fun night!

Hey Harriet said...

That sure sounds fun! Glad you had a great time geeking out. Nothing beats a good geek-out! Love the trippy photo too :)

AlasMyDear said...

am bew to your blog and my! am i having a fun time here! it's such a happy quirky place. i like :)) am so happy to have found you, will be dropping by often!

Michelle Engel Bencsko said...

*totally jealous*

Anonymous said...

That's so awesome.
Adding that to my netflix queue! My kind of documentary!