Saturday, September 27, 2008

Montfest


I just got back from my college's alumni festival (aka Montfest) where I was selling my Argyle Whale wares with Justin. Justin was bored to tears while manning my table but I had a nice time socializing with my classmates and attending a lecture called "artist as a small business".

I got myself all worked up the night before Montfest and ended up with little sleep. I left so much to the last minute with my display. It's embarrassing to admit, but I was also afraid of seeing people I hadn't seen in a long time and especially intimidated that my old professors would be seeing my new things. My designs now are so different from the type of art I was making back in school that I feared being criticized for becoming too commercial. Y'know, I used to make installations and now I draw bunnies wearing scarves.

Of course, nobody was tacky enough to criticize my wares or comment on my belly fat and most people seemed genuinely tickled by my new work. I left with a pocketful of cash, some dates with friends and a free brownie. Yes!

3 comments:

Kim Caro said...

aw- sounds like a fun time. :) you are too cute.

Kim Bagwill said...

Hey - it's great that at least you're still creating. I have a fellow art major who graduated, got married to an engineer, never had kids or a real job, and still doesn't do any art. Wow - if I had that kind of time....

jessicajane said...

ok, so your "no one commented on my belly fat" made me giggle a little, just a little. Im sure I would be thinking the same exact thing too! haha.