Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Vampire Hedgehog!


It has been months since Justin and I adopted Acorn (our curmudgeonly hedgehog companion) and I announced that he would surely inspire many Argyle Whale illustrations as our bunnies have. To my surprise, having him around didn't give me any ideas for hedgehog illustrations.

Acorn is kind of a hard guy to get to know. For starters, he's primarily nocturnal and even when we'd take him out to play, his idea of fun was crawling under a blanket to take a nap. It wasn't until I got a quick peek under his chin that I noticed he had a pair of little fangs and a slight overbite.

The discovery of fangs paired with his nocturnal ways finally triggered my imagination and I started picturing Acorn as a vampire. I considered the pairing of adorable woodland creature with the sexy dark imagery associated with vampires and realized that Acorn didn't have what it takes to be an immortal bloodsucker. Clearly he was disappointed but I was happy to finally have a hedgehog illustration!

So, I am delighted to present "Almost Vampire" featuring our dear Acorn sporting a high-collared cape, looking into a mirror and coming to the tough realization that "Little fangs and a satin cape do not a vampire make." His reflection mocks him with his own personal reality. *Le sigh*

I promise that I'll make him a more triumphant character next time.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it!! Acorn looks sad, yet still a little proud. :) It's brilliant.

Kitty Vane said...

Cheer up Acorn. Vampires might be in right now, but they're just a fad. Hedgies will be fabulous for ever! :D

Anonymous said...

So freaking cute for a little bloodsucker! Love it Elise!

Haley said...

Awesome! Cutest wannabe vampire ever.

Nosideup said...

Oh, he's totally great!

brandi said...

adorable! it couldn't be any cuter if it tried!

Jess littlebunny.etsy.com said...

oh my goodness! this is amazing! sweet little acorn.

into the trees said...

aww this is amazing!