Sunday, September 14, 2008

1-2-3 Gocco!




Forgive my cheesy title. I thought I'd share this neat trio of images captured when I burned a screen using my Gocco. Justin shot a quick video of the explosive moment while we closed our eyes and the images above are stills from the video. I always close my eyes while I burn a new screen (for obvious reasons) but I was always tempted to look. I never realized quite how bright it gets!

This part of the process is my favorite. I always tense up.
I lower the top of the machine pressing slowly and gently.
I feel a little click and hear a crinkling pop!
I can see my glowing salmon-colored eyelids (gross, I know).
I hold the top down longer than necessary and open one eye first while slowly releasing the press.
I always find that I'd been holding my breath.

7 comments:

Megan said...

I think Gocco is way too hardocre for me, lol. I want one but I don't have the patience to burn new screens and change the ink or paint (I don't even know what it is!)

Michelle Engel Bencsko said...

Wow, that is bright! I just watched an Etsy how-to vid the other day. Part of me wants one, but part of me knows I'll probably rarely use it.

Anonymous said...

i love gocco! i've had mine for years and still can't get enough.

also, i just saw your jackalope print on the front page of etsy - way to go!! you seem to be getting a lot of press, so keep up the good work. when i get paid, i think a print from your shop is in order...

i've been following your blog/flickr for a while now, and while i am insanely jealous of your first name (which is my mom's name, and my middle name), and the fact you and your husband are so adorable together, i think it's your amazing drawing skills that kill me everytime. keep up the good work :)

jennie lynn said...

What a good idea to have someone photograph the moment of bulb-explosion. I always close my eyes too, so I didn't know exactly what it did while I was pressing down on the lid, I only knew it was bright.
Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Oh that's awesome! One time I forgot to close my eyes and was totally blinded for several minutes (: I love Goccoing, I'm going to have to buy more bulbs soon!

Nosideup said...

Great images!
I want a Gocco so badly I could die. Seriously.
Thanks for passing by, too!

Anonymous said...

I knew it was bright, but I hadn't realised HOW bright!